Friday 30 March 2012

A Serious Thought

In Memory of Eddward Gould, Web Artist 1988 to 2012

Sorry to do this again folks, but creativity is ultimately the slave of reality.  I’ve got some more news that shaken me, and I’m remiss that I missed it for so long.

Five years ago while I was bored out of my skull at university, dreaming of breaking out and doing something more creative, I came upon Eddsworld.  This artist from the UK was inspiring, and indeed uplifting, as his art came from one clever and simple idea: I’m going to draw animations and use them to stage adventures staring me and my friends.  The idea was a hit, and took off, supported by his great skill with animation, his clever and witty writing, and his and his friends’ abilities with voice acting.  The cartoons were silly and funny, and they conveyed the warm personality that created them.  Most of them are still available on YouTube.

I just learned today, that last week on Saturday, Edd Gould has passed away young.  This was a surprise passing, as I’ve learned Edd had a long battle with cancer, considering it an inconvenience and impatiently trying to get back to doing what he loved.  That was his cartooning.  It’s always tragic when someone dies young, but you know, it shouldn’t be.  Through it all, he lived doing what he loved. 

Many of us dream of doing something better, more meaningful or just a little more personal.  Edd had the guts to follow his dreams, and he leaves a legacy that easily spans the whole world.  His talent will be missed, but his inspiration should live on.

Rest in Peace Edd, and God Bless

From Just Another Fan

No comments:

Post a Comment