Tuesday 29 May 2012

Something different, II


Okay, so here is what I am thinking about this foolishness.  I don’t think it was my fault that the party healer died, but I believe that we could have done more sooner.  

Realized much too late, the sorcerer could resume living in the church because the smoke from the fires couldn’t have completely asphyxiated it; all that we needed to do was block the windows to smoke her out.
My Warblade was running like the wind once he got poisoned.  We’d seen that poison before, he knew what was coming and genuinely feared an ignominious death, and worse, being at the mercy of his companions to guard him overnight. I knew what was coming, and he knew and feared losing control.  I defend the decision to run on the second day as the only one that was reasonable.

In truth, we didn’t need to kill the sorcerer, just scout the church and stop the Spellwarp Spider production if possible.  Who likes to make excuses?  No one, but there was a fifth level sorcerer in that building and we were all second level: running is sometimes the better choice, and we didn’t have to claim failure at all once we confirmed the methods to create the spiders involved necromancy and one building.

In the final estimate, though, the witch charged the front door out of impatience.  She broke with caution, indeed, threw it to the winds, to try and push through the front door.  Through multiple caster level 3 necromantic glyphs!  Who does that?  Party healer, I guess…

See, my character is a warblade.  He is not afraid to die, but wants to die in battle.  I don’t think I’m role playing him badly when I have him run like a scared little girl with impending strength draining saving throws just 6 rounds away in a hostile church taken over by spiders.  It’s an ignominious death; a life spent wrestling to remove your armor so you can move slightly while an unknown number of spiders come to eat you.  What does the bard say about that death?  I wasn’t going to charge that door glyph knowing that it could have ended just the same, paralyzed and waiting for just anything to come along and eat me.

But the witch was something else.  And she wanted us to immediately break the game after it happened, or the DM to change the fatal hit so that she was not instantly killed.  “Only the warblade could have taken that hit and not died instantly.” Well, actually, that hit might have killed me, 29 hit points and all, because it was shocking grasp and I have a metal breast plate on.  But notwithstanding, I’m not going to allow myself to be suckered by that hit if I can help it.

I’m sorry witch, but that was just foolish what you did, and the consequences should be felt.  She’ll learn.  The Player is at least nothing if not persistant, and kudos for that.  She’ll be back.  Not sure if there’s much a group of level 2s can do for her character though.  The druid needs five levels to be able to cast Reincarnation.  You have to be careful dying before that happens. 

 Or at least die for something meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment